Katowice: Guido Coal Mine Tour
The historic coal mine Guido was established in 1855 in Zabrze. It is a unique monument with the deepest route in a coal mine in Europe. It is also the only one available of this type for tourists. It has not been operating for many years but since 2008 it is possible to visit the perfectly preserved mine 320 meters below the surface. You will get there with the authentic elevator. Together with our guide you will have the chance to experience early 20th century working conditions in the coal mines thanks to the interesting exhibitions and the multimedia effects. You will also see old equipment and machines used here 100 years ago. Join us for this memorable underground adventure!
We organize private tours to Guido Coal Mine in Zabrze from Katowice on request.
- pick up from your hotel at chosen time
- approx. 20 min. drive from Katowice to the Guido Coal Mine in Zabrze by private car/van with our English-speaking driver
- visiting the Guido Coal Mine with a local guide in chosen language for up to 2 hours; the program of sightseeing will be the following:
- You will visit the oldest available places of the Guido Coal Mine, at the 170 level. Our guide will tell you about the toil of work from the beginning of the 20th century which was the time of mechanization, technological progress but also the time of the cult of St. Barbara in coal mining. She is the central figure and the main attraction. The chapel in which she is located catches attention thanks to its architectural qualities: raw brick, steel constructions and industrial climate are mixed with monumentality which is well-known from neo-gothic brick churches so often appearing in Silesia. After the elevator ride, you will discover the next level 320 metres underground. The most important sites here are the large scale mining machines presented in operation. Here you will learn about the development of mining technology from the end of the 19th century up to modern times. You will also learn how the hard work of a coal miner looked like. You will go through a maze of mining excavations where it can be steep and dark. Although Guido Coal Mine stopped its coal extraction, there is still some coal left. You will have the chance to see it in its raw form. The tour of Guido Coal Mine ends in the deepest located pub in Europe which offers “Guido” beer – brewed by the local brewery in Gliwice.
4. approx. 20 min. drive back from Guido Coal Mine to Katowice
5. your hotel drop off in Katowice
Whole tour lasts approx. 3 hours
Prices: Contact us for more information.
What is included?:
- hotel pick up and drop off after the tour
- the assistance of our English-speaking driver during whole tour
- private transportation by a comfortable, air-conditioned car/van
- entrance tickets to the Guido Coal mine for the 320 meters level route,
- 2 hours of sightseeing tour inside the mine with a local guide in chosen language
This private tour is available in following languages:
English, German, Russian, Czech, French, Spanish and Hungarian
*some languages may be subject to availability
- Duration of the visit: up to 2 hours;
- Length of the route: 3,5 km
- The temperature underground is 13-16 degrees Celsius regardless of the season;
- Appropriate clothing and shoes with flat soles are recommended;
- Due to the pressure differences, we advise against visiting people with serious illnesses;
- Pregnant women should consult a doctor
Remember that the protective helmet should be worn on the whole touristic route.