Krakow: Tour to Wadowice
Wadowice – hometown of Karol Wojtyla known better as the Pope John Paul II. He was born in Wadowice in 1920, attended local school and lived here together with his family until 1938 when he moved with his father to Krakow. After being elected as a pope he visited Wadowice three times in 1979, 1991 and 1999. Several monuments were erected here in his memory and the main market square of the town received the name after him. Today the most important place in Wadowice is The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum. Let us take you for a short excursion to discover this small town and visit this interesting museum.
We offer private tours from Krakow to Wadowice on request
- hotel pick up at chosen time
- around 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Krakow to Wadowice by private car/van with English speaking driver
- approximately 70 minutes of guided group sightseeing tour inside The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum with local guide in chosen language during which you will see:
- Little Homeland exhibition – devoted to the youthful years of Karol Wojtyla, there are photographs of his family, colleagues and friends as well as secondary school-leaving certificate of Karol Wojtyla and his hand-written biography.
- Wojtyla’s apartment – it consisted of three rooms: kitchen, bedroom and living room. It was renovated based on the memories of Karol Wojtyla’s neighbours and colleagues, equipped with preserved original items belonging to the family.
- “Krakow, thank you” exhibition – part dedicated to the life of the future Pope during World War II – studies, work and preparation for the priesthood.
- Memories from the moment of election of Karol Wojtyla for a pope.
- “I forgive the assassin” exhibition – touching part of the museum reminding the events of May 13, 1981, when John Paul II became a victim of an assassin. The pistol from which the pope was shot can be seen in a glass case placed in the floor.
- “And the world became home” exhibition – in this part you can set out on a journey to places that the Pope visited.
4.after the visit in the Museum you will have 1 hour of free time to discover the centre of Wadowice city and see:
- Market Square – where young Karol Wojtyla was passing through on the way to the school and was meeting his friends.
- Basilica of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary – here Karol Wojtyla was baptized and received First Holy Communion. The only one in the world presenting the teachings of the Holy Father on its walls. The relics are kept in the church – the blood of John Paul II in a special reliquary.
- Monuments of John Paul II – the most famous is the two-and-a-half-meter monument on which the smiling Pope stands on a granite rock, holds a crosier in his left hand and with the right hand blesses the faithful.
- Pastry shops – you have to take a break to try kremowka – a famous cake that Pope used to eat after school lessons with his friends.
5. around 1 hour and 15 minutes drive back from Wadowice to Krakow
6. your hotel drop off in Krakow
Whole tour lasts up to 4,5 hours
- 540 PLN per person (1 person)
- 290 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 210 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 180 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 150 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 130 PLN per person (6 persons)
- 120 PLN per person (7 persons)
- Contact us (8 persons or more)
What is included?:
- hotel pick up at chosen time and hotel drop off,
- comfortable, air-conditioned, private transportation
- service of private English speaking driver during whole tour,
- entrance tickets to The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum in Wadowice
- 70 minutes guided group tour inside the Museum with local guide in chosen language
- 1 hour of free time in the centre of Wadowice to see all highlights on your own
We offer this private tour in many different languages including: English, Spanish, French, Italian, German and Russian
*some languages may be subject of availability and prices can vary