Olsztyn: Old Town Walk
Did you know that Olsztyn is known as one of the happiest cities in Poland? For a number of years, it has been ranked very highly in quality of life and safety. Today, the capital of the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship is a cultural centre and a popular tourist destination. Olsztyn was founded as Allenstein in the 14th century (under the control of the Teutonic Order). In 1454 it was incorporated into the Polish Crown. After the First Partition of Poland in 1772 Warmia region with Olsztyn was annexed by Prussia, later on it was a part of Eastern Prussia. As a consequence of World War II, Olsztyn became a Polish city again. The rich and complicated history has shaped this unique city. Visit the medieval Old Town and the Olsztyn Cathedral with us. Take a walk through the picturesque Market Square which is part of the European Route of Brick Gothic and feel the atmosphere of the happiest Polish city.
We offer private guided walking tours of Olsztyn Old Town on request
- meeting our private city guide in chosen language at your hotel at chosen time (if your hotel is located too far from Old Town, we suggest a meeting point in the centre or at additional cost we can provide private transfer service)
- up to 2,5 hours of private, guided, walking tour around Olsztyn Old Town during which you will see:
- so called Upper Gate in the Old Town, city gate from the 14th century, part of the former defensive walls,
- so called House of Gazeta Olsztynska (house of the newspaper), a branch of the Museum of Warmia and Mazury located in the reconstructed brick building, a former printing house,
- Olsztyn Castle – Brick Gothic castle built in 14th century, officially known as the Warmian Bishops’ Castle,
- Monument of Nicolaus Copernicus – famous, Polish astronomer who formulated the heliocentric theory; as an administrator of the castle in Olsztyn he prepared it for the defence against the attack of the Teutonic Knights in 1520,
- Market Square in Olsztyn – part of the European Route of Brick Gothic; full of picturesque tenement houses and historical sites,
- Old Town Hall, built in the second half of the 14th century, it housed the offices of the town authorities until 1915,
- so called The Mayor’s House in Olsztyn (Burgermeisterhaus), the oldest brick residential building in Olsztyn; considered to be the most important tenement house in the Market Square; the apartment of the former mayors of Olsztyn,
- Co-Cathedral Basilica of St. James the Apostle, a church built in the second half of the 14th century, inside you can find the gothic tabernacle, renaissance decorations like painting decoration of the wall tabernacle, triptych of St. Cross and candlesticks;
- Baroque sculptures and paintings.
Whole tour lasts up to 2,5 hours.
- 400 PLN per person (1 person)
- 200 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 140 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 110 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 90 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 80 PLN per person (6 persons)
- 70 PLN per person (7 persons)
- Contact us (8 persons or more)
What is included?:
service of professional private city guide in chosen language for up to 2,5 hours walking sightseeing tour of Olsztyn Old Town
This private tour is available in following languages:
English, Spanish, German, Italian, Russian.
*some languages may be subject to availability and prices can vary
Choose number of participants
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.