Krakow: John Paul II Route
Karol Wojtyla, internationally known as pope John Paul II is probably the most famous Pole of all times. His monuments are found in many cities, and his words are recalled on various occasions. The Pope not only contributed to the fall of communism in Poland and in eastern Europe, but was also a man who loved adventure, a good friend and advisor. John Paul II was the first non-Italian pope since the Dutch pope Hadrian VI (1522-1523), and also the second longest-serving pope in modern history after Pope Pius IX (1846-1878). During this tour you will visit sites closely related with the Pope’s life.
We offer private tours of traces of St. John Paul II from Krakow on request
- hotel pick up at chosen time
- around 1 hour and 15 minutes drive from Krakow to Wadowice by private car/van with your private guide in chosen language
- up to 70 minutes of guided group sightseeing tour inside The Holy Father John Paul II Family Home Museum in Wadowice with local guide in chosen language during which you will see:
- Little Homeland exhibition – devoted to the youthful years of Karol Wojtyla, there are photographs of his family, colleagues and friends as well as secondary school-leaving certificate of Karol Wojtyla and his hand-written biography.
- Wojtyla’s apartment – renovated based on the memories of Karol Wojtyla’s neighbours and colleagues, equipped with preserved original items belonging to the family.
- “Krakow, thank you” exhibition – part dedicated to the life of the future Pope during World War II – studies, work and preparation for the priesthood.
- Memories from the moment of election of Karol Wojtyla for a pope.
- “I forgive the assassin” exhibition – touching part of the museum reminding the events of May 13, 1981, when John Paul II became a victim of an assassin. The pistol from which the pope was shot can be seen in a glass case on the floor.
- “And the world became home” exhibition – in this part you can set out on a journey to places that the Pope visited during his pontificate
4.walking sightseeing tour of the centre of Wadowice with your private guide for up to 50 minutes during which you will see:
- Main Market Square – young Karol Wojtyla used to spend here a lot of time when he was a young boy and teenager
- Basilica of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary – here Karol Wojtyla was baptized and received First Holy Communion. It is famous for presenting the teachings of the Holy Father on its walls. Blood of John Paul II is kept here in a special reliquary.
- Monument to John Paul II – one of the landmarks of Wadowice. It presents smiling Pope who stands on a granite rock, holds a crosier in his left hand and with the right hand blesses the faithful.
5. free time for coffee/snacks (up to 45 min) – we recommend visiting one of the local pastry shops where you can try kremowka – a famous cake that Pope used to eat after school lessons with his friends.
6. approx 25 min drive from Wadowice to Kalwaria Zebrzydowska – Poland’s first Calvary sanctuary which origins go back to 1601. This place was visited by John Paul II during his first pilgrimage to Poland as a Pope in 1979. In 2000 it became one of UNESCO World Culture Heritage Sites.Today it is a big complex of a Baroque basilica under the invocation of Our Lady of the Angels with miraculous painting of the Kalwaria Madonna, Bernardine monastery and over 40 chapels and small churches dedicated to the passion of Christ and the life of Mary. Kalwaria is well-known for its Passion mysteries and church festivities. Our visit in this complex will take approx 45 minutes.
7. approx 40 min drive from Kalwaria Zebrzydowska to Sanctuary of Divine Mercy in Lagiewniki in Krakow. It was established by Pope John Paul II during his stay in Poland in August 2002 and it is a resting place of Saint Faustyna Kowalska. Our visit will take approx 45 minutes
8. your hotel drop off in Krakow
Whole tour lasts approx 6,5 hours
*Itinerary order can vary depending on availability of the entrance tickets to the Family Home Museum of John Paul II in Wadowice
*Please remember you will visit sacred places and you should remember about appropriate clothing and behaviour.
- 1150 PLN per person (1 person)
- 600 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 420 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 350 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 300 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 260 PLN per person (6 persons)
- 240 PLN per person (7 persons)
- Contact us (8 persons or more)
What is included?:
- hotel pick up at chosen time and hotel drop off,
- comfortable, air-conditioned, private transportation,
- service of private guide in chosen language during whole tour,
- entrance tickets to Family Home Museum of John Paul II in Wadowice
- guided sightseeing tour inside the Museum in Wadowice with local guide in chosen language
- entrance tickets to Calvary Sanctuary in Kalwaria Zebrzydowska
- entrance tickets to Lagiewniki Sanctuary
We offer this private tour in many different languages including: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, German, Russian and others
*some languages may be subject of availability and prices can vary