Torun: Old Town Walk
Torun, unlike many other historic cities in Poland, was not damaged during World War II and therefore its world-class heritage is authentic. City offers many artistic and architectural monuments which are considered to be of high historical value. The Medieval Town Complex is unique and has been noted on the UNESCO World Heritage List since 1997. The city is famous for being the astronomer’s Nicholas Copernicus’ hometown. He was the creator of the heliocentric model of the solar system which means that the Earth moves around the sun. Torun is also known for its delicious local product – gingerbread cookies which you just have to try. Join us for a pleasant tour around this enchanting city with our guide and we guarantee that you will be delighted by its beauty and charm!
We offer private guided walking tours of Torun Old Town on request.
- meeting our private city guide in chosen language at your hotel at chosen time (if your hotel is located too far from Old Town, we suggest meeting point in the centre or at additional cost we can provide private transfer service)
- up to 3 hours walking tour of Old Town in Torun during which you will be able to see:
- Monument of Nicolaus Copernicus – the second biggest monument of the famous astronomer after the one in Warsaw; it was made by bronze and unveiled in 1853
- Nicolaus Copernicus House – two magnificent buildings presumed to be the birthplace of Nicolaus Copernicus. A perfect example of the architecture of the old merchant’s house
- Old Town Hall – represents the former prosperity of the city. It was a residence of the town authorities and the court. Polish kings were hosted in its ceremonial chambers.
- Artus Court – it used to be the seat of merchant guilds and brought together the wealthiest of Torun’s burghers.
- Leaning Tower (Crooked Tower) – according to the legend, this medieval fortified tower was built by the Teutonic Knight as an act of penitence for his sins. This tower was a part of the old Torun’s defensive system. When it was no longer useful for military purposes, it was converted into a prison and then into a blacksmith’s workshop
- Cathedral of St. John – construction of this Gothic church began in the middle of the 13th century and was continued in stages for over 200 years, it is the biggest church in Torun. In its rich interiors, special attention should be paid to the main altar of Saint Wolfgang created in 1502-1506, valuable wall paintings, sculptures and Baroque and Rococo altars. Nicolaus Copernicus was baptised here in 1473
- Ruins of the Teutonic Castle – the Castle was built in the 13th century replacing an old stronghold – that is why it has an unusual shape of a horseshoe. It was a convent castle with 12 monastic knights and a commander keeping the surrounding area under Teutonic governance
- Church of St. James – the construction of this church began in 1309 on the initiative of the Teutonic Order. It is commonly regarded as the most beautiful church in Torun. It stands out because of rare (in Poland) basilica architectural construction and because of its flying buttress system. The interiors are decorated with Gothic paintings and Baroque and Rococo altars. The mystical crucifix with Christ on the Tree of Life is of superior value.
- St. Mary’s Church – Gothic church built by Franciscans in the middle of the 14th century. According to the strict order rule demanding life in poverty there are no towers or rich architectural ornaments in the church. Inside you can find oak stalls from the beginning of the 14th century, intricately decorated pulpit and organ front and medieval paintings
- Philadelphia Boulevard – named after Torun’s sister city Philadelphia. It is a perfect spot for walking. It follows the Vistula river bank from where you can admire the bridges spanning the river and the beautiful panoramic view of the city, especially the Old Town defensive walls.
Whole tour lasts up to 3 hours
- 350 PLN per person (1 person)
- 180 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 120 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 90 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 80 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 70 PLN per person (6 persons)
- Contact us (7 persons or more)
What is included?:
- service of a professional private guide in chosen language for a tour around the Old Town of Torun for up to 3 hours
- This private tour is available in following languages:
- English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, Russian, Japanese and others
*some languages may be subject to availability and prices can vary
*For those who would be interested, we can book tickets to the Gingerbread Museum and Planetarium which are the biggest attractions in the city. Please contact us for more details