Torun: Grudziadz & Kwidzyn Tour
Grudziadz is a historic town situated 65 km north of Torun and its oldest monuments are at the same time the first brick buildings erected during the Teutonic Knights rule of this region. The end of the Middle Ages left a characteristic series of monumental granaries, creating a unique panorama of the Vistula River making it a really charming place worth visiting. Later on, only within 1 hour drive, we will also make a stop to visit the special Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Kwidzyn. The castle and cathedral complex is undoubtedly stunning and is considered one of the most interesting Gothic buildings in Poland. We are sure it will knock you down on your knees. The history and architecture of these sites are very impressive and you should definitely admire them on your own!
We offer private tours to Grudziadz and Kwidzyn from Torun on request
- hotel pick up at chosen time
- approx. 1 hour drive from Torun to Grudziadz by private car/van with our English speaking driver
- visiting the city for up to 2 hours with a local guide in chosen language; during the tour you will see:
- the Water Gate – built at the beginning of the 14th century, formerly closed with a harrow (today’s replica has a decorative function). Burned down in 1659 and 1945, it was thoroughly rebuilt after the war.
- the Granaries – a group of granaries which consists of 26 buildings with brick facades and buttresses. The granaries served as defensive, storage and from the beginning of the 20th century, residential functions. The establishment of the granaries was related to the development of the town as a trade and craft center, which drew large profits from the grain trade.
- the Castle Hill with the Klimek tower – on the highest hill in Grudziadz, in 1260-1299 the Teutonic Order erected a defensive castle. In 2013-2014, the relics of the Teutonic castle were revitalized – the walls of the castle were exposed and an observation tower was built, modeled on the former Klimek castle tower from which you can admire the magnificent panorama that stretches over the city and the Vistula valley and on clear days you can see the buildings of Chelmno town
- the Market Square – bombed in February 1945 but luckily renovated in 2010. The old surface was restored, lanterns stylized in the 19th century were erected, and the plinth of the monument was made in the manner of the one from the beginning of the last century
- the St. Nicholas Basilica – The oldest church in Grudziadz built for almost 130 years, starting in 1286, when the construction of the presbytery began. This part of the church functioned as an independent body for a long time, giving its inhabitants a shelter during numerous invasions of the Prussian tribes in the city. During the tourist season the church tower is open in which, apart from two historic bells from 1482 and 1777, there is an exhibition of old elements of the church equipment inside. From the windows at the top of the tower there is a unique view of Grudziadz
4. approx. 45 min. drive from Grudziadz do Kwidzyn
5. visiting the mysterious and magical Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist in Kwidzyn for up to 1,5 hour with a local guide either in English or German; here you will see:
- the Blessed Dorota’s Chapel – Blessed Dorota born near Malbork since her early age was characterized by exceptional religiosity. She believed that her destiny was to serve God. On January 9, 1976, Pope Paul VI signed a decree of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints approving the long-lasting cult of Dorota of Matow
- the Groeben’s Chapel – a red-brick chapel in memory of Otto Friedrich von der Groben
- The Crypt of the Three Grand Masters – it was discovered in 2007; an incredible opportunity to see one of the greatest archaeological discoveries of recent years in Europe. The highest dignitaries of the Order of the Hospital of the Holy Virgin Mary of the German House in Jerusalem were buried in pine coffins under the chancel floor – this was the official name of the Teutonic Order. The first is Werner von Orseln – the grandmaster in the years 1324 – 1330. The second is Ludolf Koenig von Wattzau, who reigned in the years 1342 – 1345. The third grand master resting in the crypt is Henryk von Plauen 1410 – 1413, known for commanding the defense of the Malbork Castle after the Battle of Grunwald.
- Wall paintings – presbytery – gothic paintings from the end of the 14th and beginning of the 15th century
- besides that: epitaphs, beautiful stained glasses and altars
6.up to 1 hour of free time for lunch at the local restaurant
7.approx. 1,5 hour drive back to Torun from Kwidzyn
8.drop off at your hotel in Torun
Whole tour lasts up to 8 hours
- 980 PLN per person (1 person)
- 500 PLN per person (2 persons)
- 350 PLN per person (3 persons)
- 320 PLN per person (4 persons)
- 260 PLN per person (5 persons)
- 230 PLN per person (6 persons)
- 200 PLN per person (7 persons)
- Contact us (8 persons or more)
What is included?
- hotel pick up at chosen time and drop off after the tour
- private transportation by a comfortable, air-conditioned car/van
- assistance of our English-speaking driver during the whole tour,
- service of a local English or German speaking guide in Grudziadz for up to 2 hours,
- entrance tickets to the Kwidzyn Cathedral
- assistance of a local English or German speaking guide in the Kwidzyn Cathedral
- 1 hour of free time for lunch in Kwidzyn
This private tour is available in following languages:
English or German